Friday 25 July 2014

Review | Maybelline New York's SuperStay Better Skin Foundation

Maybelline New York Superstay
Better Skin Foundation (tester)
Normal bottle priced at £8.99 from
Boots or on 3 for 2 offer.
Recently I was told of a really good discount website called Student Hut - just sign up and it will send you free samples of various items and exclusive discount codes for students, etc. After being told this, I signed up and found a few offers of brands sending free samples of makeup; one of which was Maybelline New York. All you had to do was complete a short online survey regarding your skin type - oily, dry, easily tanned and so on - and they would send you a free sample that would suit your skin perfectly.

I must admit, it took a few weeks for the sample to be sent out but when it finally arrived, I was excited to try it. Wrongly so.

I was given the shade of "sand" from their range which I felt could work but it wasn't a tone I'd ever gone for in other brands. The actual texture of the foundation was fairly average; just like any other regular liquid foundation. I tested it quickly on the back of my hand and found that it spread very easily with little product covering a large base of skin. However, the colour did not match my skin tone at all - it was far too light and orange. I dismissed this briefly, knowing that the skin on your hand is different from that on your face and began to apply it evenly with a makeup brush, starting from my nose and spreading outwards. But it was still too light so I simply stopped applying - quite lucky I wasn't going anywhere that day! Upon inspection of the parts of my face I had applied the product to, the coverage was fairly average and slightly too "caked" in places, despite the fact I hadn't used much of the foundation at all.

Unfortunately I can't comment much on the name-sake promise of long lasting coverage as I wasn't about to wear a foundation that didn't suit me for the entire day but it would definitely be great if it gave good coverage for a long period of time and the product suited your skin type! I've heard plenty of reviews of this product from people who love it...and I'm rather disappointed that it doesn't suit me at all - not in the shade I was given or for my skin type.
Shade - sand.

Overall, it seems like a decent product that you would eventually get used to applying over time in order to get that perfect, even coverage. Perhaps not a miracle worker, but worth a shot if your skin isn't as dry as mine! Priced at £8.99 in Boots or as part of their 3 for 2 range right now, it won't break the bank, but definitely try before you buy.


Have you tried Maybelline's Super Stay Better Skin Foundation?
What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment